Edit/Send this Email
Dear <YOUR LOCAL MAYOR, COUNCIL, COMMISSION, POLICE CHIEFS ETC>:
According to the Use of Force Study by 8cantwait.org data proves that together these eight policies bellow decrease police violence by 72%. Please reply and let me know which of these policies the department you oversee has institutionalized, and which ones they don't, but you will commit to pursuing their implementation.
- BAN CHOKEHOLDS & STRANGLEHOLDS: Allowing officers to choke or strangle civilians, in many cases where less-lethal force could be used instead, results in the unnecessary death or serious injury of civilians.
- REQUIRE DE-ESCALATION: Require officers to de-escalate situations, where possible, by communicating with subjects, maintaining distance, and otherwise eliminating the need to use force.
- REQUIRE WARNING BEFORE SHOOTING: Require officers to give a verbal warning, when possible, before shooting at a civilian.
- EXHAUST ALL OTHER MEANS BEFORE SHOOTING: Require officers to exhaust all other reasonable means before resorting to deadly force.
- DUTY TO INTERVENE: Require officers to intervene and stop excessive force used by other officers and report these incidents immediately to a supervisor.
- BAN SHOOTING AT MOVING VEHICLES: Restrict officers from shooting at moving vehicles, which is regarded as a particularly dangerous and ineffective tactic.
- REQUIRE USE OF FORCE CONTINUUM: Develop a Force Continuum that limits the types of force and/or weapons that can be used to respond to specific types of resistance.
- REQUIRE COMPREHENSIVE REPORTING: Require officers to report each time they use force or threaten to use force against civilians.
Again, please reply and let me know which of these policies the department you oversee has institutionalized, and which ones are not, but you will commit to implementing -- and by when.
- your name